A Westchester Buddhist Center Foundation Level Course
The Aligned Center, Irvington
HOW TO MEDITATE - PART ONE
A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
A Six Week Course based upon the book by Ani Pema Chödrön
Six Tuesdays, from 7- 9 pm
October 18 through December 6, 2016 (omitting November 22)
Location: Aligned Center *, 1 Bridge Street, Suite 64, Irvington, NY 10533
See below for map & detailed instructions
Suggested Donation: $60
We are committed to making our programs affordable to all. Those with limited income please offer what you can afford in our donation page here and include a note for the program you are offering towards.
Please purchase the book “How to Meditate” by Pema Chödrön before the first meeting.
Pema Chödrön is treasured around the world for her unique ability to transmit teachings and practices that bring peace, understanding, and compassion into our lives. With How to Meditate, the American-born Tibetan nun presents her first book exploring in depth what she considers the essentials for an evolving practice that helps you live in a wholehearted way. More and more people are beginning to recognize a profound inner longing for authenticity, connection, compassion, and aliveness. Meditation, Pema explains, gives us a golden key to address this yearning.
This six-week workshop style course will be based upon this book and will consist of guided meditation instruction, practice, presentations, questions and discussion. This course will provide the key foundations to a genuine meditation practice, including:
- The basics of meditation, from getting settled and the six points of posture to working with your breath and cultivating an attitude of unconditional friendliness;
- How moments of difficulty can become doorways to awakening and love;
- The key points of Shamatha, or calm abiding meditation, which is the art of stabilizing the mind to remain present with whatever arises;
- And how thoughts and emotions released in meditation can be experienced as opportunities for opening further instead of as obstacles.
The course will be taught by John Baker, Jane Kolleeny and Gene Bobker, all of whom were also students of Pema Chödrön’s teacher, Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and are Senior Teachers in his tradition.
TEACHING SCHEDULE *
Nov. 8 - NO MEETING
Nov 22. – NO MEETING
* Please sign up to our email newsletter here for special announcements
* The Aligned Center is directly above the Red Hat Restaurant, but to get there, park in the large lot in front of MP Taverna and walk into courtyard to the right of the Eileen Fisher Lab. Go straight ahead to the "Foundry" entrance. The office is on the second floor right at the top of the stairs.
About Aligned Center
The Aligned Center seeks to build a heartfelt community among its members, nonprofit partners, and the local community of Westchester. Aligned Center is a new type of wealth management firm dedicated to growing and inspiring wealth in all dimensions. The firm's philosophy is rooted in the understanding of four dimensions of wealth: Financial Abundance, Heartfelt Community, Lifelong Learning, and Mindful Awareness. Learn more: www.alignedwealthllc.com.